Council Proposes To End Community Action Groups
As We Know Them
Council has developed a proposal to integrate Community Action Plans with the Council Plan, at the same time withdrawing funding from Community Action Groups who would cease to be Section 86 Committees of Council and therefore would not be covered by Council’s insurance.
Council envisages that local communities will form project teams to undertake projects however these teams would need to apply to Council for funding and insurance cover (which may or may not be granted) for each individual project. STAG believes this model will significantly disadvantage smaller communities which don’t have strong sporting or service clubs already established.
Council has asked all the Action Groups to respond to the proposal. Click the link below to read STAG’s response.
Strathbogie Community Action Group
firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to STAG, C/- Post Office, Strathbogie.
click to open
This group was set up to liaise between Strathbogie Shire and our community.
The STAG committee for 2019 is as follows:
- Chairperson David Hamilton
- Vice-Chairperson Doug Watson
- Secretary Helen Peters
- Treasurer Henry O’Connor
- David Jamieson
- Sean Mathews
- Andrew Townsend
- Daryl Wynne
- Kim Usher
Please note that STAG Committee meetings are now held on the third Monday of every month (except January) commencing at 7.30pm in the Soldiers Room at the hall. The date may be changed if this clashes with a public holiday. Please feel free to come along
STAG has set up a number of subcommittees to implement the great ideas of the Action Plans. Projects have included:
- Emergency Resource development and delivery
- Community Directory preparation and delivery (most recent edition 2018)
- Communications, including monthly Tableland Talk and www.strathbogie.org website (launched in 2008)
- Community action planning and facilitation
- A SPOKEN word event
- Spring Creek picnic shelter
- Spring Creek bridge and footpath to Magiltan Drive
- Polly McQuinns infrastructure upgrade
- Township signage improvement
- Rec Ground facility upgrades
- Automated diesel fuel supply facilities (in process)
The first Strathbogie Tableland Community Action Plan was set up in 2005 and is regularly reviewed. The most recent Community Action Plan was established in 2015. Click the link at the top of this page to access the current plan.